Saturday, November 27, 2010

Whose rights are right?

Whose rights are right?


For every right, there is a right. What are my rights? And when am I overstepping them as a Public Relations Professional? I may be against something, while someone is for it. So how do I instrument this into my expertise?

The bottom line is that it is not my job to justify a particular right. But at the same time, I will always uphold my personal ethics and if I do not agree with something that I have been assigned to, I much rather leave my voice out of the project and take a neutral stance than to be taken off of it. That maybe shocking to some, but I look at it in the light that although, I do not stand for that particular right, I see the other view for that right.

For example (Mom, please don’t get mad when you read this): The “going green” movement is not one of my top priorities in my life. I think that the new recycling grocery bag that you can buy at any grocery store is a bit extensive and an honest waste. I mean, it’s a waste of recycled energy and recycled products. And organic sweaters are just seemingly ridiculous. I don’t want my sweater made of bark and my buttons made of tin cans.

I am not a big supporter of the green movement, however, I can see someone’s right to pursuing this movement. I can appreciate it and therefore take on a responsibility to promote it as the PR professional.

It’s not my job to expose what is right or not, it’s my job to keep a level head and to leave opinions out the door to serve my client’s best interest.

No comments: