Thursday, November 20, 2008

I need Africa more than Africa needs me

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. There is not one day that goes by where I forget about the friendships that I made with the most amazing people that I have ever met. There is not one day that goes by where I do not feel grateful for the life that I am so blessed to live. Not one day goes by where my heart breaks for the things I saw in Africa. My heart smiles with the things that Africa taught me. 

To Africa, I am just another visitor to Malawi's broken land. I am just another "azungo" [white person] who came across seas in hopes to save lives. Though I loved so hard in this place where love is rarely shown, to Africa, my story is just a dent in this chipped away picture. I can only think is there a day that goes by where Africa remembers me?

I went to Malawi, Africa, the most HIV/AIDS infested country in the world, with a missions group from my high school in the spring of 2007. It was my heart to aid in the support of HIV/AIDS. I held faultless babies that had this disease, I saw the innocence in their eyes. I played and hugged and loved children who were left on the streets by their parents for death. I went deep into the "brush" to teach and pray for these communities that had been out-casted because of their disease. I have danced in the the middle of 500 people from different tribes. I have never had a better time in my life. I have taken some hard soccer balls to the face, those kids know how to play! It was all worth it for a smile for even a small moment.

I took a suitcase there, and took a heavy heart full of memories home. Africa taught me so much about myself and my heart. Without Malawi, the is no me, there is no heart... I am so blessed to live the life that God specifically chose for me. Why me? Why not Blessings, this little precious baby who was infected with HIV/AIDS, that I held and cried over for hours. Why couldn't she live my life? She is more worthy than I am. 

Africa has taught me to not take any moment for granted. I have taught Africa that there is love in America and there is a heart to serve. My lesson learned was far more valuable than I could ever teach Malawi.

 I will go back to this land that has taught me everything.

Photobucket




No comments: